Sunday, October 14, 2012

Symbology Lesson: The Eye of Providence

SYMBOLOGY

I was sent this photo by a woman who recently visited Natchez with her husband and snapped this photo at the Natchez City Cemetery. She asked about this wrought-iron symbol and what it might be.

The symbol you see depicted in the photo is the "all-seeing-eye." It has many variants in antiquity, including the Eye of Horus/Eye of Ra of the Egyptians. What is pictured here however, is the Masonic Eye of Providence, with the rays of the sun emanating from it. Masonry has other variants of this same theme. Obviously, the person who is buried in this plot was a Mason. 

[Additional Note: Symbology, as a category of study, is extremely interesting. It is one of sixteen categories I study regularly in my own personal regimen of studies. I recommend it highly, both to learn about various symbols and to consider the philosophy/meaning of symbols, and why humans use/need them!]

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete