Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Recommended Reading List

by Mike Chapman

The following is actually more than a "Recommended Reading List." It is what I would list if asked the question, "Which books would you have in an essential library for doing what you do?" I actually had a tough time limiting this "library" to twenty five books. My library has hundreds of books in it. In fact, I will soon post a blog on "Paranormal Classics" that should be in any serious investigator's library (one who wants to master this field) - such as Breakthrough, by Konstantine Raudive and The Ghost of 29 Megacycles, by John G. Fuller. Yes, I could have added more to my list, and each section could be greatly expanded, but I wanted to keep the list as concise as possible so that an average person could afford to work away at purchasing it over time, and not at a huge, almost unattainable cost. The demonology section was particularly tough for me to limit. I left out many very important books and works that I think are extremely helpful. These are the indispensables, in my opinion.

I greatly value the twenty-five books listed below (some more than others obviously). They are not listed in order of value or importance, but rather in sections based upon categories of study. In fact, as far as importance is concerned, the last three would be at the head of the list. Of course, one must remember that who I am and what I do in this field is to be a Christian paranormal investigator who specializes in negative or demonic hauntings. That obviously shapes what I look to as "essential" resources. If you want merely a listing of good paranormal books, I'd recommend the first two sections, and I would also insist that you add the fifth section to it because to explore the paranormal without an understanding of basic universal truths, you are going to be hopelessly mistaken and even fooled by what you think is taking place. Also, please note that I do not agree with everything that is said in every one of these books (examples would include Guiley and Belanger's encylopedia and dictionary, respectively; or Jrakman's "Art of Ghost Hunting"). However, each has varying degrees of contributions to make to one's knowledge. One must understand that a work can have awesome research and data included within it that is true and helpful, even though it is written within a context of a worldview that is mistaken. Perhaps later, when I have more time, I can make a paragraph's worth of comments on each work to cite exactly why I value that particular book so highly (and the part[s] that I object to). For now, maybe you can gain some insight into the "library" itself. These are the books I keep within arm's length and constantly refer to over and over again, and that have shaped my understanding of life and reality:whether it be natural, beyond the natural, or supernatural. Enjoy!

Recommended Essential Library for a Christian Paranormal Researcher and Demonologist

SECTION I: Paranormal Basics (6)
The Ghost Hunters Guidebook, by Troy Taylor [Sixth Edition]
The Art of Ghost Hunting: 2nd Edition, by Jaeson K. Jrakman
How to be a Ghost Hunter, by Richard Southall
Life After Life, by Raymond A. Moody, Jr., M.D.
On Life After Death [Revised Version], by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
Hello From Heaven! by Bill Guggenheim & Judy Guggenheim

SECTION II: Science & Technology (4)
Paranormal Technology: Understanding the Science of Ghost Hunting, by David M. Roundtree
EVP Lab 1.0, by John Gruber, Ph.D.
Introduction to Psychology (Twelfth Edition] by Dennis Coon and John O. Mitterer
An Introduction to Parapsychology, by Harvey J. Irwin and Caroline A. Watt [Fifth Edition]

SECTION III: Demonology Basics (5)
The Demonologist: The Extraordinary Career of Ed and Lorraine Warren, by Gerald Daniel Brittle
The Angels in Catholic Teaching and Tradition, by Fr. Pascale Parente
Resisting the Devil: A Catholic Perspective on Deliverance, by Neal Lozano
Deliverance from Evil Spirits, by Francis MacNutt
Deliver Us From Evil: A Manual of Exorcism, by Phillip Gagnon

SECTION IV: Demonology Philosophy, Theology & Methodology: Causes & Remedies (4)
The Twilight Labyrinth: Why Does Spiritual Darkness Linger Where it Does? By George Otis Jr.
The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare (Revised and Updated) by Dr. Ed Murphy
God at War, by Gregory Boyd
Satan and the Problem of Evil, by Gregory Boyd

SECTION V: Resources & Authority (6)
The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits, by Rosemary Ellen Guiley
The Dictionary of Demons, by Michelle Belanger
Roman Ritual: Volume II – Christian Burial, Exorcism, Reserved Blessings, Etc [Latin & English]
The Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition
Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament (Second Catholic Edition RSV)
Catechism of the Catholic Church: Second Edition (Libreria Editrice Vaticana – Publisher)

Important Paper
The following is not a book, but is an extremely important paper done by a missiologist. I would be remiss if I did not mention this resource to you as being extremely helpful:

The Flaw of the Excluded Middle, by Paul Hiebert

Link to pdf version: http://www.michaelsheiser.com/UFOReligions/FlawofExcludedMiddle.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment